Mildred Dresselhaus Guest Professorship
CUI has established a special guest professorship program, to which Prof. Mildred Dresselhaus from the Department of Physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has kindly given her name. The program includes a prize, which is presented during a festive reception.
For the promotion of female researchers
All her professional life, Mildred Dresselhaus has engaged herself in the promotion of women in natural sciences. Thus the renowned professor decided to support the program’s contents:
- Provision of excellent research conditions for international outstanding female researchers: annually, the guest professorship is awarded to a successful senior scientist (Senior Award with personal prize money of Euro 20,000 plus a certificate), as well as to a younger researcher with high potential (Junior Award with a personal prize money of Euro 10,000 plus a certificate)
- Invitation to work within CUI for a period of two to six months
- Providing role models for young women in the physical sciences
- Attracting world leading researchers to Hamburg, starting new and intensifying existing collaborations
- Giving a few lectures or focussing on a topic of choice
Mildred Dresselhaus, Professor of Physics and Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was a clear role model and leader in promoting opportunities for women in science and engineering.
She was born to Polish immigrants in the Bronx, New York, in 1930. As a young woman, she was advised that the only jobs open to her were schoolteacher, secretary or nurse. However, inspired by her physics teacher and future Nobel Laureate Rosalyn Yalow, she graduated from Hunter College with a science degree in 1951.
In 1958 Mildred Dresselhaus obtained her Ph.D. at the University of Chicago and – after marrying and giving birth to four children – she became the first tenured professor in MIT‘s engineering department in 1968.
Mildred Dresselhaus died on 20 February 2017 at age 86: MIT News
Mildred Dresselhaus Guest Professorship Conference
Top-class scientific lectures, personal (career) perspectives, exchange of experience and networking. The Mildred Dresselhaus Guest Professorship Conference (MDC) took place on the Bahrenfeld Campus from April 4 - 6, 2019. It brought together the outstanding "Mildred Dresselhaus Guest Professors" as well as experts in the fields of equality, diversity and academic careers.
Mildred Dresselhaus Magazine
"I am very pleased to have the opportunity to write a few words about how much I appreciate the establishment of the Mildred Dresselhaus Professorship at the Hamburg Centre for Ultrafast Imaging in my honour," wrote Mildred Dresselhaus in her welcoming address to the magazine "Mildred Dresselhaus Prize and Prizewinners" a few weeks before the highly respected scientist passed away in February 2017.
The magazine (PDF) provides interesting insights into the life of Mildred Dresselhaus and the award winners through portraits and questionnaires that the prizewinners filled out.