What were you wearing?
Exhibition on sexualized violence and false victim blaming
Victims of sexual assault are often asked about the clothing they were wearing at the time of the assault. This gives the impression that they may be partially to blame for the assault. At this point, the exhibition "What were you wearing?" ("Was hattest du an?") wants to counteract this with assistance, facts and targeted education. It is directed against victim blaming and false questions, and shows articles of clothing that are modeled on those worn by victims at the time of the assault.
Two years ago, the board of the Cluster of Excellence "CUI: Advanced Imaging of Matter" decided to specifically address the issue of sexualized violence and abuse. On the initiative of the cluster, the exhibition conceived by Emely and René Unger will therefore be on display at the Center for Free-Electron Laser Science (CFEL) on the Bahrenfeld campus from 31 January to 23 February 2023.
- When: 31 January to 23 February 2023
- Where: CFEL, Building 99, Luruper Chaussee 149, Bahrenfeld Campus (directions, parking, gatehouse)
- Opening hours: Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. - 8 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Admission: free
- Flyer in English: soon to come
Accompanying program to the exhibition for employees and students on the Bahrenfeld Campus
While the exhibition is open to all interested parties, there will be an accompanying action month on the Bahrenfeld Campus, with events reserved for students, staff and researchers of the Bahrenfeld Campus and our cooperation partners (see below). Unless otherwise specified, all status groups may participate in the events.
- Self-defense course I for all genders (01.02.2023, 13.00 - 16.00, in presence, English).
- Self-defense course II for women* only (06.02.2023, 14.00 - 17.00, in presence, English)
- Rape, trauma and consequences of sexualized violence with the "Frauennotruf" (07.02.2023, 14.00-15.30, online, German)
- Talk on Sexual Harassment and Counseling Services at DESY with Dagmar-Schirmacher-Busch (14.02.2023, 10.00 - 11.00, in presence, German, no registration required, HARBOR Seminar Room Ground Floor )
- (Talk on Sexual Harassment and Counseling Services at UHH - cancelled)
- Leadership Training Online (16.02.23, 10.00 - 12.00 Uhr, online, German)
- Gender-based violence using the example of feminicide (20.02.2023, 13.00 - 14.30, online, German)
- Unconscious Bias Workshop (22.02.2023, 14.00 - 16.00, in presence, English)
- Empowerment Workshop für PhDs and Postdocs (23.02.2023, 10.00 - 17.00 Uhr, in presence, English)
- Sexual Violence & Nightlife (28.02.2023, 18.00 - 19.30, online, German, for students, PhDs and early postdocs)
- Sexualized, Targeted, and Blamed: Queer Women’s Experiences of Sexual Violence" mit Dr. Nicole Bedera (21.02.2023, 17.00-18.30 online talk, in English)
More details about this program, as well as links to the respective registration tools, will follow as soon as they are available. The website will be continuously updated in this regard.
Our Action Month is presented in collaboration with our partner institutions: Universität Hamburg's personal counseling with a special focus on sexual discrimination and harassment, Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY, Max Planck Institute for the Structure and Dynamics of Matter, European XFEL GmbH, PIER - partnership between Universität Hamburg and DESY, Cluster of Excellence "Quantum Universe" and LGBTIQA* Network Science and beλond. Thank you to everyone who participated in the planning and preparation. Together our institutions are sending an important signal against discrimination, sexual harassment and violence on our campus and in society in general.
Help in cases of sexualized violence
At CUI, a consistent approach against all forms of sexual harassment is a matter of course. The cluster aims to provide a safe working environment for all. Contact persons for questions or need for advice on this topic can be found on the